2 days, 3 Flats, & F*#K!

So, my commute week was short. I only rode two days this week, and drove the first three. Why? I’m not sure. I thought it was laziness, but I was feeling guilty about driving, though it probably was laziness. It was also an “off” week so to speak. My mind was scattered all over the place and I wasn’t feeling motivated to do anything, hell even work was a chore, and I love my job. The two days I did bike, helped my mental state improve. On to my two day recap.

Thursday was tough. I almost talked myself out of riding, but I knew I had to do it, if for no other reason than to keep my sanity. I check my bike over before leaving for work. Tires needed a bit of air, back tire seemed a little to squishy, but it wasn’t flat so I didn’t give it much thought. Geared up, and out the door I went. It was a cool morning and beautiful. I love summer vacation, even though I don’t get one, traffic has thinned out to a nice manageable chaos. No school buses and no parents carting their kids to school. Love. What I don’t love is road kill, and there happened to be a big raccoon decomposing and leaking right in the bike lane. I feel sorry for him/her. I wish people would open their eyes while driving. Other than that, the ride into work was chill, I saw a deer in Greenlawn Cemetery, which made me smile. Now, the ride home was a whole different bit of joy. I was at work until 5 o’clock, and I saw the storm clouds. As I was getting dressed in the locker room, my friend Mark yelled from the front of the shop that I might want to wait it out. Well, “it” happened to be a blistering storm of high wind and horizontal rain. Yes, I would be waiting it out. He took off leaving me to wait it out. A half an hour later it had let up enough, that I figured I was good to go. Wrong. Pulled out my bike, flat rear tire. No worries, it’s bound to happen. Put in a new tube and off I went. I bonked hard about 3/4 of the way home. That was a tough final stretch. Finally made it home. Beer me.

Today, Friday, I was feeling a little better. The sun was out and it was getting warm fast. Two things I absolutely love, sun and heat. True story. I decided to treat myself, so I stopped at Cup-O-Joe Coffee Shop in German Village to get and iced coffee. They’re cool enough to fill up my bike bottle, which makes transporting my liquid joy that much easier. So, about 3/4 of the way to work, I start to notice my rear tire feeling a bit soft. Nah, I just put in a new tube. Aahh, fate you like dealing out adversity. Yes, my back tire was losing air, slowly. Since I was so close to work, I pulled over and pumped it up, and made it to work. I’ll address that at the end of day.
End of day comes, and with it a storm, worse than the one from the day before this one brought low visibility, high wind, lightening, and hail. I worked a little extra knowing it would pass. As it died down, I prepped to leave. I now have a flat rear tire. I pulled off the back tire, removed the tube, and intended to patch the minor leak. Found it, patched it, reassembled it all, and headed home. A 1/4 of the way into the ride, POP! And the back tire goes flat. F*#K! Three flats in two days, come on. I am now in full gggrrr mode. Yes, in case you’re wondering, I did check the tires for any offending materials, before replacing the tubes, nothing came of it, so *raspberry*. I figured my patch job had failed. Nope, it was fine. What the problem was, I’ll have to sort out later. I really inspected the tire this time, and realized that I have so many slits, cuts, and holes in my tires, that the odds are against me. With that kind of Swiss Cheese for a tire, I am more likely to get a flat than not, hence the 3 flats in two days. I now know that I have exceeded the mileage of my tires and I am in need of new ones. I also know funds are tight. Well, I’ll have to figure this out soon. I put in my last new tube, reassembled everything, and checked the time. (Remember, Greenlawn closes at 7PM, and the short cut through there saves a good bit of time.) It was 6:31. I. Must. Fly. I went into my version of time-trial mode and hammered it. I was feeling pretty good, all things considered. The traffic lights seemed to be playing in my favor. I hit the last stop light, couldn’t see the entrance to Greenlawn because of fog, but checked my clock and it showed 6:47PM. I hope they didn’t lock up early. As I got closer, the gate was still open, sweet. As I passed through, I felt a sense of relief wash over me, and I relaxed a bit. Whew! Time-trial over. The rest of the ride I did a good pace, traffic was light on SR62, and I made it home in what seems like record time. It was time for a shower, then head out to get some Salt & Pepper Tofu at Lotus Leaf. Yum.

I am now typing this out lying in bed, tired, but enjoying a short glass of Jim Beam Black. I need to find some new tires, on sale preferably…or if any company out there would like to send me some to review I would be more than happy to do that also. I ride just shy of 100 miles a week in some hardcore urban/industrial conditions. I’m just putting that out there. *wink*

Music, please. I’ve really been enjoying old Love and Rockets lately. This is one of my favorite songs from them, off of Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven, a brilliant album. Enjoy!


Thanks for stopping by and reading my ramblings.


Posted with WordPress for BlackBerry.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s